Friday, February 24, 2012

Regrets...I've had a few

I always tell my boys and family and friends that you can only regret the things you didn't do.  Never regret the things you did do.  Wasted time, effort and energy.  Unfortunately I don't think, at this time anyway, that I will ever not regret having left Mali early.  But I do think I'm ready to move on from there...or here.  I keep saying "if I could do it over", "in hindsight" (I don't think I've ever heard a more useless term) and my favorite "if I could just go back in time".  All of these things are impossible and pointless.  It is our mistakes and imperfections that make us who we are.  We are not meant to go back and change things...for better or worse.

That being said, I gave one last try to trying to find a way back to Mali to finish my service.  We can't go back but sometimes we can fix our mistakes and rectify our regrets.  I sent an email to DC to the Mali Country Officer.  Basically pleading my case on why I left and that I'd like to go back if at all possible.

February 2, 2012


My name is Clare Francavilla.  I am a RPCV (sort of) having served in Mali.  I was accepted as a volunteer and received my orders in October 2010.  I left San Diego for Washington DC on January 31, 2011 and landed in Mali February 2, 2011.  One year ago today.  It was the greatest most proud day in my life.  I had been planning this once in a lifetime opportunity for about 15 years just waiting for the right moment where I was in a place in my life where this would be possible.  Children grown and in college, financially unburdened and mentally ready to “move away from home”.  Because I do not have a degree I had spent the previous 5 years doing volunteer work with International Rescue Committee and Alliance for African Assistance as a Resettlement Volunteer working with refugees.  I worked as paid staff for American Red Cross in disaster relief and volunteered with them in disaster response. 

Due to extenuating circumstances both at my site and home I felt forced to leave Mali after just 8 months…in October 2011.  There were some issues at my site that I had spoken to different PC staff about on a few different occasions that never got resolved.  I believe with some more effort and badgering (which I am usually very good at) I believe that in time these issues would have worked themselves out.  But when I received a couple of phone calls from home with issues that made me feel that my only option was to leave and take care of my family I let PC know that I needed to leave as soon as possible.  I would be happy to go into more detail regarding these issues if necessary.  

You know what they say about hindsight…  Had I have thought better of it and with a clearer mind instead of my “hair is on fire” attitude I surely would have done things differently.  And although I am most capable of helping others through times of need and disaster with a clear mind and a good plan when it came down to my family and my disasters I jumped the gun.  Although both situations at home were dire at the time, fortunately things are working out well.   My wish is that I would have thought more clearly up front and taken a month or two leave, come home and took care of the issues here and then went back to Mali and my village to finish my 27 months.  But I did not.  I now find myself wishing there was a way for me to finish my time.  All the PC staff in Mali although sad to see me go was very understanding.  I know that it cost quite a bit to train and send a volunteer to their serving country.  I left early and feel very badly, unfinished and unaccomplished.  I stay in touch with the matrone and my homologue in my village.  I do know that there is a new volunteer in Bougoula.  For this I am grateful.  I would have been disappointed to know that they suffered because of my personal issues at home.  They are wonderful people and deserve the chances that a volunteer in their village could offer them.
I’m sure after all my babbling you are wondering why I am writing you.  Since I have returned I have thought of little else besides being able to return to Mali.  My goal in life was to volunteer and serve in a developing country.  I am not finished.  I sought out different avenues, spoken to different organizations both here in the states and in Mali to find out other ways to return to Mali.  Until this morning I never thought about contacting the PC to find out if there is any way I could be reinstated and return to pick up where I left off…albeit in a different village.  I am willing to pay any expenses incurred for my return.  Plane ticket, any training you would deem necessary and although my Bambara has suffered a bit I’m sure with some practice that will also pick up where it left off.  I will make up the months I have been back home tacked on to the end of my service.  I know this is a long shot…a very long shot, but there is one thing that I always taught my children is that “you never know if you don’t ask”.  The worst thing that could happen is someone says “no”.  I’m sure it seems that I am begging and pleading for a do over…I assure you I am.  It can’t hurt, right?

Again, Nicole, I know this is a long shot but it hurts my heart that I was not able to finish my work and time in Mali.  Any consideration you can give this will be much appreciated.  I will look forward to hearing from you.
Clare Francavilla  

No comments:

Post a Comment