Tuesday, April 12, 2011

All fun day

April 11, 2011

Today was a day of fun for PC trainees.  It started with a shuttle taking a bunch of us into Bamako to do some shopping.  We went yesterday too.  We got to go to the suguba (big market).  The market is like going to a swap meet only intensified by people following you, touching you, pulling you into their stores/stalls.  They sell clothes, jewelery, pots, pants, shoes, purses...anything you could possibly think of.  It was almost like being in Tijuana to go shopping.  Everyone trying to lure you into their shops.  Only here they will follow you an annoy you and intimidate you beyon belief.  You have to learn to say no and try and skate around them.  Because if you turn one place or move another place they will just move with you.  It was almost scarey at times.  That was yesterady.  Today we went over to the artisan area.  This was a little more quality malian made artsy stuff.  Including jewelery, paintings, wall hangings, musical instruments, leather goods, wood carvings, etc.  Touristy but Malian made for sure.  It was nice but because they follow you and bug you it makes me not want to buy stuff instead of making me want to by stuff.  Between yesterday and today I bought two outfits, some material to have some work clothes made, some bead bracelets and some silver earings.  I'm happy with my purchases...except the guy that sold us the material totally ripped us off.  That's a hole other story.  Live and learn...that won't happen again.

Then we came back to camp.  Most trainees then went over to the America Club where we went a couple of weeks ago to have lunch and swim in the pool.  I decided not to go.  Out of 61 of us only 4 of us didn't go.  We are leaving in 2 days for our home sites.  I wanted to get all my stuff together, do some laundry and relax before our big night out.  Plus the lunch last time sucked and it was expensive.  I would rather stay back from doing that and have a nice dinner tonight and not have to worry about the money.  And boy I'm glad I did.  At 5pm a car took me and 2 other trainees over to the hotel where everyone (except a few of us) were going to spend the night.  We ate dinner there.  I had Canard a l'orange (orange duck) and garlic roasted potatoes.  It was frickin awesome.  A hamburger at the pool would have cost what I paid for my duck and this was a hell uva lot better.  I had a beer and some wine.  After dinner everyone got shuttled over to the first bar/night club for the evening.  Unfortunately by the time we got over there it would be only an hour before the shuttle would come to take us back to camp.  That was a shame.  I was just starting to have fun and dance and it was time to go.

But not before they named our staje (group).  Every new group that comes in gets a name after training from the group that was before them.  The name is usually based on what they've learned about the group in the first 2 months they've known them.  Team America was the last staje (they couldn't think of anything else).  Before that was Risky Business.  I hear they are a bunch of partiers and drinkers.  Based on the fact that this particular staje that I'm in has been very spoiled, that the other stajes are jealous of all the field trips we've had, gone to the swimming pool, anytime someone wanted to go into Bamako they would arrange an unscheduled field trip, we changed our hours at school because it was too hot.  Change different training sessions here and there because we wanted to sleep in.  We have a Jackie-O type chick and a couple of Marilyns...All these things considered they named us Kennedy Staje.  We like it!! 

So the group of us that wasn't staying over night left on a 10pm shuttle back to camp.  The rest of the group all stayed in the hotel.  The last shuttle from the night club to the hotel was 3am.  From what I understand a pretty big group was still hanging tough at 3.  I can't imagine because there were some folks that were wasted by the time we left at 10.  I don't how they made it.  But I just got the scoop from one of the other volunteers.  I got some (not all) the dirt about who hooked up with who.  Apparently being a PC volunteer doesn't change the fact that you re a 20 something year old girl or guy.  Behavoir here at a club isn't any different than behavoir in the states at a club.  The only difference here is that a certain level of behavoir is expected and their can be consequences regarding your service with Peace Corps if those behavoirs are compromised.  That being said, that's why Peace Corps staff does not participate in these extra curricular activities.  What they don't know won't hurt them.  So there were hook ups and mix ups and match ups...and I'm sure alot of regret this morning.  Or not...

The shuttle left the hotel at 10am to bring everyone back to camp.  I can't wait to here the rest of the stories.  I'm sure some no one will ever know.  Tonight is our swear in at the president's palace.  Should be quite the spectacle.  Story and pictures to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment