Tuesday, April 12, 2011

...So help me god...

April 12, 2011

Today we were sworn in as Peace Corps volunteers under the below conditions. The ceremony was held at the president’s palace. We didn’t get to see much of it but it was sure exciting to be there. It wasn’t the White House of anything but an experience none-the-less. We took a tour bus up a hill and down winding roads to get to the palace. We were sat down and had to wait for an hour before the president arrived. You should never be late. We were allowed to take pictures inside but DON’T step on the rug that has the president’s chair on it and NEVER touch the chair. We didn’t ask why, just agreed.

After the president arrived there were speeches from Boca, the PC Country Coordinator, Mike, the PC Country Director of Mali and Gillian A. Milovanovic, the US Ambassador to Mali…all in French. I got the gist of the speeches. After we had our official swearing in (I cried a little) speeches were given by some of our group (not me..someone with actual language skills) in each of the 5 different languages this group has been trained in. They were frickin awesome. They did such a good job. I was very proud of them. Then the president spoke. He spoke about how proud he was of us and how we are doing such a great thing for Mali and wished us all the luck over the next 2 years. There was a reception with some finger foods and COLD soda. Really cold soda. That in and of itself was a real treat!!

Tomorrow we leave for our permanent sites. Although I’m looking forward to this part of the journey it brings on a whole other set of fears and anxieties. I will have no other American’s around me, no one there speaks English, AT ALL. I will be living on my own, have to cook on my own, get water on my own…I will be on my own…alone…in Africa. Lord help me.

INVITATION TO SWEAR-IN AS A PEACE CORPS VOLUNTEER IN MALI

Congratulations! You have succeeded in fulfilling the requirements established by Peace Corps to demonstrate the technical and linguistic competence, resiliency, and determination which are essential for service as a PCV in Mali. At this time we would like to review the 10 Core Expectations, presented to you at the time of your initial invitation to Mali:

1. Prepare your personal and professional life to make a commitment to serve abroad for a full term of 23 months.

2. Commit to improving the quality of life of the people with whom you live and work; and, in doing so, share your skills, adapt them, and learn new skills as needed.

3. Serve where the Peace Corps asks you to go, under conditions of hardship, if necessary, and with the flexibility needed for effective service.

4. Recognize that your successful and sustainable development work is based on the local trust and confidence you build by living in, and respectfully integrating yourself into, your host community and culture.

5. Recognize that you are responsible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for your personal conduct and professional performance.

6. Engage with the host country partners in a spirit of cooperation, mutual learning and respect.

7. Work within the rules and regulations of the Peace Corps and the local and national laws of the country where you serve.

8. Exercise judgment and personal responsibility to protect your health, safety and well being and that of others.

9. Recognize that you will be perceived, in your host country and community, as a representative of the people, cultures, values and traditions of the United States of America.

10. Represent responsibly the people, culture, values and traditions of your host country and community to people in the United States both during and following your service.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a great time!! Glad it's you and not me! I don't think I could have done that even when in my 20s. All the extremes are too extreme for me. Heat, dryness, wetness, bugs, snakes, etc. Not my cup of tea, but I'm glad some people are okay with all of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amadou Toumani Touré, was he there?

    ReplyDelete