Monday, January 3, 2011

It's here, it's here...the phone book is here!!

December 30, 2010

I guess that's not funny to those of you that haven't seen Steve Martin in The Jerk.  But he was so excited when the phone book came because finally being out on his parnets home (where he grew up as a poor black boy) he was finally listed in the phone book.  "I'M SOMEBODY!!"  Well who's somebody now!!?? 

Back in October was the last time I had any contact with or from somebody at the Peace Corps.  After they sent me the inviation to Mali I was asked to submit an updated resume and an aspiration statement.  I did that within the specified period of time, but then...I have never heard from anyone since then.  So I plodded through the last two months, getting excited, being sick to my stomach over going to a foreign country...not for a visit but for 2 years...sick because I got rid of everything I owned (except a 10X5 storage with stuff when I get back in 2 years I'll wonder why I saved it), not having a job or money, but most of all leaving my kids.  Not babies, but my children none-the-less.  I've also spent the last 2 months packing, studying my french and taking a quick look at Bambara (the language I will need to learn when I get to Mali) and spending every last dime I have to be ready for a trip that I'm hoping that I'm going on but don't really know since I haven't heard a word in 2 months.  AAHHHHH!!...it's been a little frustrating.  At least send me an e-mail with the list of volunteers going (including my name), or an email that says HI or something.  

But alas...all that worrying and wondering for nothing..

Logolayers

December 30, 2010 (I'm leaving in 20 days...nothing like waiting til the last minute...I need anti-anxiety meds)
Greetings future Trainee:

The Staging Unit is looking forward to your arrival in Washington, DC for the Mali staging event. Please read this email and the attachments carefully, as the information here will answer many of the questions you have regarding your final steps prior to departing for Mali.

Like Steve Martin in The Jerk...the phone book is here, the phone book is here!!
Now I have to call the travel agency to make my flight reservations.  Then there really is no turning back.

December 31st...I called the travel agency to make my reservation.  Unfortunately all that is available on holidays (New Years Eve) and the weekends is emergency reservations.  Well this may not be an emergency for them, but it sure the hell is an emergency for me.  Each little step/hurdle that I can get through the less anxious I am...more nervous, but less anxious.  But now I have to wait until Monday.  AHH!!  Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment