Friday, October 22, 2010

Maybe a little nervous...

Everyone keeps asking me if I'm feeling nervous now that it's becoming a reality.  Now that I know for sure that I'm finally getting to be in the Peace Corps, that I'll be living in another country, I'll be moving away from my family and friends.  NO!!  I'm not nervous.  I've been waiting for this for yeeaarrrssss!!  I am above nervous and more excited than I've been about anything since having children. 

Then I start to read through the assignment packet;  Mali is predominantly a Muslim country.  In behavior and dress they are conservative.  Women wear long skirts and keep the upper part of their bodies covered and we recommend that you plan to be similarly attired.  Shirts with sleeves, calf-length skirts and dresses for women.  Pants can be worn when riding a bike. 

Talking about bikes;  All volunteers receive a mountain bike to use as their primary mode of personal and work transportation.  Your bicycle will provide you with access to villages and other work sites within the target zone as defined by Peace Corps.  Typical Volunteer work zones cover up to 25 kilometer radius, often over rough or rocky terrain (don't worry...that's only 15.53 miles...I looked it up!!)  BUT it is important to understand that reliance on a bicycle or public transportation will limit to some extent your freedom of movement.  Public transportation may only be available a few days during the week, and same-day round trip transportation (e.g., from your village to a larger neighboring town) will probably not be available. 

Talking about available; the kinds of food which are available depend on the geography and weather, although your usual diet will consist of boiled rice, corn or millet and a simple sauce.  In some areas of the country, fruits and vegetables are not readily available, while in other places, meat is hard to come by.  You may only have access to a large market on some days of the week, or to a post office on a monthly or bi-weekly basis.

Talking about water (I know...I just had to throw that in there);  I will most likely be posted in a small town or village in the dry, hot countryside of Maili, usually one or two days travel by public transport from Bamako (the capital of Mali).  Your house will likely be made of adobe/mud bricks, without electricity or running water. 

NO RUNNING WATER... OK...maybe I'm a little nervous.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...when I visit I need to shower. I don't like being stinky. I sweat and I get stinky. So...yeah. You need to find me a little kid that I can pay to bring me water everyday.

    ReplyDelete