Wednesday, March 9, 2011

All roads lead to Sikasso...

March 9 (continued)

Bougoula, Sikasso it is!!

So I will be spending the next 2 years in the Sikasso region of Mali, in a little village called Bougoula. 1,000 people, no electricity, internet and I’m assuming no air conditioning. But I will have a 2 room house…or 2 huts…with my own nyegen (walled in area made of cement and mud with a hole in the middle of the floor to take care of business…the bathroom). The family that will watch over me, and I assume lives close to me, during my time there is the dugutigi (village chief…head honcho) of the village. This may not sound like a lot but it is a very high ranking position even for only 1,000 people.

It is 7k to market town of Zantiebougou  and it's only open 1 day a week. Since there is no refrigeration to keep food and the fact that I have to walk or bike 5 miles to get to the market when it is open I'm planning on losing some weight. I'm down 10 pounds since I got here. Not quite sure how since all I eat is carbs. I use potatoes to pick up my rice. And rice to keep up my potatoes. With some dried fish or goat and a little cabbage.  Mmm Mmm good.  My banking town, Bougouni, is 32K away...at least an hour on a local transit bus. Lucky me.  I won't be biking that. I'm wondering if this is the closest internet I'll get.  I should be able to go at least once a week...I think.  PC mentioned that they are in the process of opening a PC transit house in the very near future for PC use.  They will have electricity, internet, bathrooms and showers for our use when we go there.  I think you can only spend 2 nights a month though.  So I will be back and forth.  At least I am on the main road where I can catch the buses that go back and forth...and I am on the main road to Sikasso.

Sikasso is supposedly quite beautiful compared to other areas of Mali.  There is more rain there than most of the rest of the country which then allows all kinds of trees to grow...fruits and vegetables.  Unfortunately with more rain and more rain foresty conditions comes more frogs.  And for those of you who know me you know how I feel about frogs.  I'm freaking out about it already.

I'll be working in maternity, Pre-natal consultation, growth monitoring of children under five, nutrition activities and malaria prevention activities.  As my secondary responsibilies I will collaborate with women's groups on shea productin (can't wait to get some of that myself for my skin...the sun is killing me), income generating projects, gardening and health education with students at the local schools...school. 

I'm glad to find out that my site can be accessed all year round...even in rainy season.  Modes of transportation include but are not limited to donkey carts, car/truck, minibus, taxi or bike.  I do have full cell phone coverage so besides the fact that it is $2.00 per minute I shouldn't have any problems keeping in touch.  The next nearest American/english speaking person is 32K away.  A hop, skip and a jump.  My floors will be cement. I will have windows and doors that lock and have screens.  I should have either a covered porch, a gua (thatched overhang) or significant tree or shade.  A wall around my home for privacy.  And my roof should not he any significant leaks.  Oh...and...I should have potable water within 200 meters of my home. 

My homologue (my BFF, sidekick, counterpart for the next 2 years) is Ousmane Kone.  He is married with children (one wife as far as I know at this time).  He speaks only Bambara and has a 6th grade education.  He is the village liason between the community and the health center.  The quality of the time that I spend there will really depend on my relationship with this guy.  If it is a relationship like what I have with my host brother it's going to suck.  Maybe he and his family will be my new best friends and I will love them to death and it will make my stay in Africa all the better.  I hope the second is true.  I will meet Ousmane tomorrow.  I'm more anxious about that then visiting my site.

Some information about Sikasso:

Sikasso is the southern-most region of Mali. The capital city of the same name is the 3rd-largest city and is growing rapidly due to people fleeing the violence in Côte d'Ivoire to the south. Major ethnic groups include the Senoufo, known for masks and reverence for animals, the Samago, known for being Mali's best farmers, and the main ethnic group in Mali, the Bambara people. The local economy is based on farming and the Sikasso, which receives more rain than any other Malian region, is known for its fruits and vegetables.

The city of Sikasso is known for a vibrant outdoor market which features fabrics, numerous vegetables and fruits (especially mangoes, for which Sikasso is particularly renowned.) Sikasso is an ethnic and linguistic melting pot featuring people from outlying villages, immigrants from Cote d'Ivoire and Burkina Faso and refugees.





Women merchants sell Tomatoes, fruit, nuts, used clothing in stalls and on tables at the Sikasso Market.

Sikasso is located in Mali

Sikasso is located the bottom right curvy point on this map.

No comments:

Post a Comment