Friday, March 18, 2011

March 16, 2011

Krystal is leaving this morning. I am sad to see her go. She has found out so much useful information due to her language skills in the short time she’s been here. Today I go back to not being able to communicate again. Oh well...I am going to have to figure it out myself...and study. We go up to the main road to wait for the bus to pass that will take her back to her home site. Thankfully she lives very close and I will see her again. There is a PCV that lives in Bougouni, my banking town...her banking town...that PC is allowing her to get her own compound with multiple buildings/rooms. Because she is in town she will have electricity and internet. She will then open this home to all other volunteers that pass through or live in this area as a “transit” house. I can go there, I’m thinking once a week, like Sunday and spend the night. I can use the internet Sunday, have electricity to recharge all my stuff, relax with other americans, have some food from the “city” and a cold soda...I hear they have diet Coke... and get a good night sleep. Then Monday morning I can take care of any banking stuff and/or post office stuff...receiving or sending mail/packages. Then I can return home before lunch. It’s so close I could actually go there twice a week if I wanted, but I can’t imagine this will be necessary. My marketing town has market on Thursday. Bougouni has market everyday. So I can buy any replacement supplies and food to last until Thursday while I am there. It should work out great. And, if, for some reason the boys need me they can text or make a one minute phone call to let me know they need to talk to me and I can hop on a bus and be on skype of the phone in an hour. With that being said I get the whole experience of living in a small remote village. There are only 2,400 people in my village and although they are on the main road to everywhere in either direction they are remote and their own village and their own community in and of themselves. I haven’t been here long enough to know for sure but I think I have a pretty sweet set up.

It is really windy today. I don’t want to complain because it sure cuts back on some of the heat, but my eyes won’t stop tearing. The dust really kicks up in these little dirt devils. It’s funny but at the same time my skin and hair is gritty now.

It’s 12:30 and time for lunch. Miriam has brought my lunch to me today. I don’t know what I will do without her. I have to do something to show my gratitude. I will be leaving Saturday and they say you shouldn’t give money. But when I come back in a couple of weeks, I will stop at the market in Bougouni on the way and pick up fruits and vegetables and some rice to give her as appreciation for her making sure I have been fed during my stay here. They always appreciate getting food....especially fruits they wouldn’t usually be able to get otherwise. That will be good.

I "worked" with her today at the clinic.  In other words I sat while she examined a young girl that has been vomiting and a sick coughing feverish baby.  I could barely understand a word they were saying.  I figured even if I just sit for these next three months and observe surely I will learn something along the way.  Miriam said I could come with her both days the clinic is open and I can be there with her when she delivers any babies along the way.  I have had 2 children but have never actually seen a baby be born.  I'm excited.

11pm - I didn’t eat dinner tonight. I was reading and letting it cool off when my neighbor came over to chat. I thought he asked if I had food to eat and I was telling him yes. Apparently what he was asking was did I eat already. See how this language barrier could be a real detriment. So he made me come have tea. Having tea and the socialization that goes with the brewing of the tea is so important to their culture. So I went. That was 2 hours ago. I am finally back in my 95 degree room. It is 11pm and alllll the kids are out playing. It’s amazing how late they stay up and out. I am told that they either go to school and then they have chores to do the likes we can’t even begin to understand. This time of night everything is done. No more laundry or dishes or cooking to do. They finally get to be kids.

Miriam has s young girl that works for her...I’m assuming. I’m sure she pays her and this girl is amazing. She does all the cooking...three meals a day, all the laundry, caters to every adults whim that comes into her home, gets them water to drink, water for tea...even makes the tea for guests herself. She can’t be 13 years old. I guess it’s good. I’m sure Miriam pays her well, but if she is there doing all these chores from the minute she gets up until the minute she goes to bed, one would have to assume she doesn’t go to school. Very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment