Saturday, March 19, 2011

Email home March 19, 2011

This is the 2nd email that I wrote home to family that I am attaching as a blog entry.  Although some of this stuff I've already talked about in previous blogs I think it is a nice summary of what's been going on.  I send these emails to my family because I'm not sure they keep up diligently with my blogs and it's important to me to keep in touch with them...especially the boys...so they know what I'm up to.  Love you all!!

So I am back at camp now. This was the hardest 5 days ever. At least at camp, even with the asshole family, there was other americans around. Someone I could speak english to, cry to, bitch with, etc. But at my new site there is NO ONE that speaks english. A little french here and there but even that is basic at best. Most people in this village have not gone past 6th grade. There is about 2500 people that I'm sure will come to be all of my closest friends. The matrone (midwife) and probably my new BFF for the next 2 years is my age. She is the 2nd wife to a man that lives in the capitol city of Bamako. He is only in Bougoula on Sundays. I haven't met him yet. She is 47 and has had 5 children although only 3 are still living. I didn't want to ask what happened but it's so second nature here to lose 1 or more children it didn't seem like a big issue for her to talk about it. She has a 20 year old son and a 23 year old daughter both going to school in Bamako. And then a beautiful 6 year old daughter that lives in Bougoula. I have already seen 2 patients with her. She said she is going to let me sit in with consultations etc just to see whta she does. And she's excited to have me in the delivery room with her for the next baby due. I can't wait. I've had 2 children but have never seen a baby be born. I'm excited.


We aren't supposed to do anything but immerse in the community and assess the needs of the village for the first 3 months. But I already have 6 easy projects lined up that I think I can accomplish by the end of 6 months...if I make it that long. I gotta say I did not think it would be this difficult to be away from home...friends, family, the boys. To be in a country where you don't know a thing about the cultures and can count the number of words you know in the local language. I did know it would be hard, but this is crazy hard. I'm homesick and think about coming home all the time. I'm still setting small goals for myself. One month, one week, one day at a time!!

Some of the small goals i have set for myself that I think I can easily accomplish over the next 6 months is:

1. the clinic needs a baby scale. They see babies and give vaccines but they don't weigh babies because they don't have a scale. All health volunteers get a scale when they are permanently installed into their sites. I will keep mine at the clinic. DONE!

2. I spoke to the Matrone (Miriam) about the bashi jiri ni (moringa tree). If you have been reading my blog you'll know this is a tree they call 'The Miracle Tree'. You can eat the leaves raw or dry and pound them and had it to salads, sauces, tea, etc. It has more potassium than bananas, more vitamin C than oranges. it's just incredible. Starting from the seed it is only 6 months until you can use any part of this tree for nutritional supplement. My village doesn't seem to have a real problem with malnutrition...at this time...but it is a problem during rainy season. The gardens drown and rot and it is hard to get to the market once a week. PC will give us seeds and instructions for growing and planting the trees. Free...I can start this as soon as I get installed.

3. There is a Mali jiri ni (mali tree) that mixed with hot peppers oils and some other easily obtainable stuff makes a natural insect repellent (mosquito) and natural insecticide for the gardens. The trees are out there it's just a matter of getting the recipes and pounding it together.

4. The clinic needs a refrigerator...mostly for storing vaccines. I haven't been able to figure out what they are doing now without the refrigerator. My guess is they are giving out vaccines that have not been stored properly. They have solar panels at the clinic for electricity. It's just a matter of getting the money together to purchase the fridge. i'm thinking there is money to be made somehow on the two above tree products. I just have to get miriam to go along with me and we're in it. She is very motivated to get her village up and running properly so I don't think it will be a problem.

5. The school is across the main road and about 1/2 mile down a dirt road. There is nothing back there but the school. It's quite a walk. The kids planted some flowers outside the school. They look great but to water them the only pump is at the main road...1/2 mile up. so these kids after walking to school the first time take some old empty soda and water bottles, walk back to the main road, fill them up at the pump and then walk all the way back to water the plants. there is an NGO in the Bougouni area that works to build and/or improve schools in Mali. From what I could understand this NGO has already helped in Bougoula with the school (which is 1st through 6th grade only). Once they have "adopted" a school it seems that it is easy to continue to get needed help. I'm hoping to help format a committee that could put together a proposal to present to this NGO for the need for a well at the school. The village could certainly donate some labor if the NGO could get funding together for the rest...including this cool pump that I heard about that sends water out like a sprinkler. I think the plug will be so these kids could plant a garden. It could generate income for the school (since they don't have much in the way of desks and chairs) and it also is teaching this kids a life skill which they will desperately need considering their schooling will only get them through 6th grade. This NGO could possibly help with secondary school as well...but that's another proposal. not only would this well be good for a garden but they have no access to water at the school either. For drinking, for washing their hands, etc. NONE. As health sector workers we stress washing hands after using the nyegen (bathroom), before eating, after playing, etc and yet they have no access to water all day long. I picture this is going to be an easy request...it will be all about presentation.

6. I think I will do my mural on the wall of the nygen as well. it should be about making sure to wash your hands after using the bathroom. I should probably wait to see if the well request goes through first.

So that's my plans for the next 6 months. I'm hoping other things come up in the meantime otherwise the year and a half after that will be very long and boring. I'm sure there will be plenty to do, but these are easily obtainable goals and very much a big need in my community. It's amazing how simple things that would be no big deal to us could make all the difference in the world to others.

I am at camp until tuesday so I will hope to get in touch with each of you through magic Jack which kind of sucks but it's a free phone call or skype or email. After I move to my permanent site it will be easier to stay in touch. i thinK I will make Sunday the day that I travel to my banking town. I can stay overnight with a volunteer that has electricity and internet. The connection should be better than it is here so I will have regular Sunday contact. I can't wait. Not knowing when I can contact you all and if the internet would be working or not has been a big stresser for me. It will be nice to know it is a regular thing and can plan on speaking to you guys.

I love you all so much and I hope all is well in your half of the world.

Clare...mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment